As the number one office solution for surveyors in the U.S., newly released Carlson Survey 2016 continues its development of survey features based on customer requests. The versatile and popular surveying software solution works like a surveyor thinks.
Highlights in the new release includes an added method to calculate a best-fit 3D line; improved cut sheet report with added functions to set and modify values for elevation, station, and offset, plus added method to import from TDS raw data; added method to renumber coordinates by adding prefix or suffix to point numbers; and for Deed Correlation, added method using polylines for input instead of points.
Carlson Survey’s 2016 version provides support for AutoCAD® 2016 and also works on AutoCAD versions 2010 and up; and runs in conjuction with Carlson’s robust civil engineering solution, the Civil Suite. All Carlson 2016 office software comes with the improved IntelliCAD® 8.1 built-in, which offers a CAD platform for no extra expense. Recently released, IntelliCAD 8.1 represents major improvements in its CAD engine technology, now including support for Microsoft Windows 10 along with multi-core processing when opening and regenerating files, which provides a 1.5 to 3 times performance improvement on multi-core computers.
The ability to apply full Field-to-Finish coding to all routines that draw points, as well as write comments or GIS attributes to further label points are other top features in Survey 2016. The core survey commands in SurvNET have also been improved, with an added method to draw the least-squares network graphics in the drawing.
Carlson Survey is designed for use for land surveying. It provides a full tool kit for surveyors with everything from network least squares to surface modeling. Users get the ability to work seamlessly between the office and the field and they can establish company-wide design styles to ease and speed their work.
Built on AutoCAD and IntelliCAD
Carlson Survey will run in AutoCAD® as well as AutoCAD® Map, Land Desktop and Civil3D and also on IntelliCAD.
Flexible data storage methods
Fix common drafting errors
Handy tools for working in AutoCAD® such as Join Nearest, Shrinkwrap Entities, Polyline Utilities, Drawing Inspector, Layer Inspector and Twist Screen
Supports industry standard LandXML and scores of specific data conversions
By triangulation or rectangular grids
One step triangulate and contour from 3D entities as well as contouring from surface files
Change surface display properties and adjust surface functions to add and remove points and breaklines and swap edges
Earthwork volumes between triangulation or grid surfaces
Tie cut/fill slopes from pad perimeter to surface, build pad surface, calculate and balance volumes, and edit pad parameters
Design and Edit Centerlines
Design or input alignments on screen or in dialog with graphics
Label Stations and Offsets
Annotate station and offsets along centerline and at selected points
Reports stations and offsets for selected points along centerline
Create Offset Points
Create points at specified stations and offsets
Flexible handling of the most complex spiral curves including â€œspiral-onlyâ€ elements going arc-spiral-arc, arc-spiral-line and line-spiral-line
From surfaces, screen entities, points on centerline, etc.
One step profile creation with real-time update while adjusting centerline
Enter profile data in dual spreadsheet and graphic window, and design in reference to controlling profile grade points
Draws profiles on grids or plan-profile sheets with auto-updating based on edits
Profiles To 3D
Create points and 3D polylines from profiles
User-defined import and export of point data along with conversions with specific other formats
Draw points with settings for symbols, layers and styles
Point group manager to define sets of point by filters
Coordinate File History
Tracks all changes to points with report and undo functions
Fix Point Label Overlaps
Finds point label overlaps with rule options to fix automatically
Utilities for modify point labels such as move with leader, twist and resize
Data Collection Interfaces
Upload and download to
popular data collectors
Spreadsheet editor for raw data with graphics and processing for traverse adjustments
Advanced network least-squares for total station, GPS and level data
Draw points with styles and in point groups set by point descriptions and draw linework by several flexible methods
Inspect all field-to-finish elements, see description source and re-draw based on descriptions edits
Streamlined inverse, traverse, sideshot, intersections, interpolation, translate, rotate, scale and align
Transform coordinates and screen entities between lat/lon and grid projections as well as local to local by Helmert and least-squares methods
Enter deed by description, read deed data from deed file, deed reports, deed correlation and generate legal description from drawing
Create custom cut sheet reports with reference grades and station-offsets
Customized area label styles and several methods to select areas to label
Sliding side area, hinged area, area radial from curve and bearing area cutoff
Lot definitions by point numbers with functions to create lots, conduct mapcheck for closure, edit in spreadsheet with graphics, report lots and draw lots
Size lots along alignment with controls for target area, setback and frontage
Offsets, Intersection and Cul-de-Sacs
Layout for ROW and EOP linework
Angle & Distance Labels
Flexible routines to label linework in all possible layout combinations plus available rules to automatically fix label overlaps and revise labels when entities move
Label curve data in stack, along arc or in table
Routines to create typical plat labels such as offset and building dimensions
Label spot elevations along an alignment
Draw special linetypes
Improvements for Carlson Survey 2016
• Data Depot – Added support for Subversion (SVN) server in addition to Bentley ProjectWise.
• Settings Server – New functions in Carlson Configure to distribute command settings and files to Carlson users.
• Save Settings in Drawing – New option in Carlson Configure to save command settings within each drawing.
• Symbol Library – Added description field for each symbol. Added option to setup sub-categories. Added function to restore default symbols.
• Load Last Report Formatter – New command to run the report formatter using the report data automatically saved from the last report.
• Drawing Inspector – Added method to report surface elevation from a TIN file.
• Drawing Setup – For set text styles, added lookup of font name and settings for width, oblique angle and multiple fonts.
• 3D Viewer By 3DX – New command to select 3DX model file to set scene to show in 3D Viewer.
• Station-Offset Transparent Snap (‘CL) – Added method to station from selected segment. Added real-time report of station/offset.
• Angle Distance Transparent Snap (‘TRAVPT) – New command to set a point by angle and distance from a starting point.
• Select Objects Filter (‘FSELECT) – New transparent command for select objects prompts to apply a selection filter.
• Show/Hide By Selection – New set of commands to select entities to hide, isolate or make visible.
• Set Level – New command to assign an additional name to entities which gets used in other commands like filter selection.
• Level Manager – New command to list, create and rename level names.
• Select By Filter – Added control for combining inclusion and exclusion filters plus new filters for level and linetype.
• 2 Radius Curve Series – New command to draw a series of two curves between two tangents.
• Draw Table – New command to create a table entity by reading a comma separated text file.
• Edit Table Properties – Added support for all types of tables instead of only line and curve tables.
• Text Wizard – New command to draw text with settings for size, style, layer and color, plus method to use current drawing properties.
• Text With Leader – Added option for default text angle.
• Move Text With Leader – Added support for moving a group of text entities.
• Draw Text On Line – Added settings for layer, size, style and color, plus method to use current drawing properties.
• Line Up Text – Added option to use polyline to follow.
• Join Two Polylines – New command to join two polylines into a single polyline.
• Remove Polyline Arcs – Added method to make chords on selected side of polyline.
• Import 3D Viewer – New command to import drawing entities from a 3DX file.
• Google Earth Import – Added support for aerial images and for GIS data.
• Google Earth Export – Added method to create Google tags from Carlson GIS data.
• Set Google Tags – New command to add labels to drawing entities to show as labels for Export Google Earth.
• Cut Sheet Report – Added functions to set and modify values for elevation, station and offset. Added method to import from TDS raw data. Added option for user-defined data columns.
• Map Check By Screen Entities – Added support for reading data from line/curve tables.
• Visual COGO – Added bearing-bearing, bearing-distance and distance-distance intersection functions.
• Best Fit Line – Added method to calculate a 3D line.
• Point Creation – Added option to apply full Field-To-Finish coding for all routines that draw points.
• Point Entity Updates – Improved performance greatly for routines that modify point entities in the drawing.
• Renumber Points – Added method to renumber by adding prefix or suffix to point numbers.
• Point Group Manager – Added method to set point range by RW5 file.
• Enter Deed Description – For entering curve data, added method to use different units.
• Deed Correlation – Added method to use polylines for input instead of points. Added option to use the Report Formatter. Added option to move deed points to survey points.
• SurvNET – Added method to draw map view graphics in the drawing.
• Edit Process Raw File – Added process setting to override backsight azimuth when have a backsight point in the coordinate file.
• Field To Finish – Added new /// special code for a comment to replace the description label. For text and custom attribute labels, added ability for fields as equations of note or GIS attributes. Added bar separator in description to indicate end of coding. Added method for linework descriptions to use point special descriptions. For custom block attributes, added settings for prefix/suffix. Added method to set level names by code. For tree features, added method to size symbol by the code.
• Offset Points By Interval – Added method to use a TIN or grid surface to set point elevations.
• Building Offset Extensions – Added method to create points along building envelope and option to create points at polyline vertices.
• Annotation Leaders – Added arrow-line style for end point leaders.
• Distance Annotation – Added option to use commas in distance labels.
• Azimuth Annotation – New set of commands to label azimuths together with distances similar to the bearing methods.
• Curve Annotation – Added new method to draw curve dimensions along chord line and radius lines.
• Curve Table – Added field options for tangent in and out.
• Label Coordinates – Added different prefix settings for north/south and east/west.
• Point To Point Table – New command to create table with from point, to point, angle and distance.
• Point Table – Added option to create as a Table Entity.
• Polyline Report – Added option to select and report multiple polylines.
• Triangulate and Contour – Added option to prefix layers with the surface file name. Added option to draw shrinkwrap perimeter polyline on specified layer.
• Draw Spot Elevations – Added option to round elevation labels to the nearest 0.5.
• Station Polyline Centerline – Added option to label super elevation stations. Added option to place PC labels at fixed offset from CL. Added option for units in miles.
• Label Station Offset – Added option for units in miles.
• Triangulation File Utilities – Added function to apply geoid to the TIN. For large TINs, added option for low res graphics.
• One Triangulation Surface Volumes – Added stockpile mode that uses TIN perimeter to make reference surface.
• Two Triangulation Surface Volumes – Added option to use multiple inclusion perimeters and report each separately.
• Design Pad Template – Added method for topsoil removal within the disturbed area. Added option to set color of pad triangles when updating the TIN surface.
• Slope Zone Analysis – Added method to hatch triangles by zone when using TIN surface model. Added ability to save slope zone colors into the TIN file.
• Draw Profile – Previews in settings dialogs use active drawing viewer instead of fixed image. For VC labels, added options to left justify, label prefix on separate row, set prefix for slopes and place station text at the top. Also added option to draw VC labels in a table. For crossing labels, added control of leader size, option to solid fill pipe shape, and controls for labels with a vertical leader. Added prefix option for grid elevation labels. For profile label names, added settings for size, layer and location. Added support for stacking more than three profiles. Added method for pipe label equations using other pipe values. For horizontal label box, added settings for prefix for cut and fill labels. For grid settings, added style of none. For sheets, added method for profile over plan, option to stack profile sheets and added setting to draw profile grid to full height in the sheet profile area.
• Import National Elevation Dataset (NED) – New command to import a surface model from NED.
• Export Esri SHP File – Added option for positions in lat/lon format.
• Define GIS Features – Added functions to import feature definitions from SurvCE VTT and TDS FEA files.
• Civil 3D – New command to convert Carlson points to Civil 3D points. New function to import centerlines from Civil 3D drawings.
• Geoids – Added support for Geoid 2012B, Iceland, Latvia 14, Russia and Korea 13.
• InRoads – New function to import centerlines from ASC format.
• MicroStation – New import point file support for TA2 format.
• TDS – Import localization from RAW file.
• Trimble – Added export JXL from Carlson RW5.
Carlson Survey 2015 New Features
The #1 office software solution for surveyors in the United States, Carlson Survey provides support in its latest release for AutoCAD® 2007-present and comes with IntelliCAD® 8.0 built-in. The following is a list of additional improvements:
Field To Finish – Added special pipe feature coding with ability to create pipe network (.sew) file. For tree feature coding, added option for drip as diameter instead of radius, added option for solid circle for trunk and option for relative tree size for the symbols. Added control for separate layers for the point attribute block and point node. Added new AFIT special code for making a curve tangent through a series of three curve points. Added method for dynamic templates with variable horizontal and vertical offsets by using the OH and OV special codes. Added settings file default distinct point layer prefix/suffix. Added separate text size settings for attribute text labels and point block attributes.
Edit Field To Finish Codes – New command to go directly to the code table editor.
- SurvNET – Added error report for individual observations to track down blunders. Added import for TDS GPS vectors.
- Edit Process Level Data – Added support for processing with zero horizontal distances.
- Carlson Cloud – New command for communicating with SurvCE for sending messages, data files and crew locations.
- Report Distance Scale – Added methods for grid/ground factors on-the-fly in addition to a fixed factor.
- 3D Transformations – Added 3D coordinate transformations.
- Point Group Manager – Added method to create point group by offset distance from alignment polyline.
- Move Point Attributes With Leader – Added controls for attribute order and ability for curved leaders.
- Import Text/ASCII File – Added method import from text with fixed widths and method to use inclusion/exclusion perimeters.
- Legal Description – Added method to report station/offset using a reference centerline. Added method for reporting with geodetic mean angle and geodetic distances.
- Cut Sheet – Added method to get station/offset from the point description coding. Added field for design point description.
- Offset Points By Interval – New command to create offset points along an alignment.
- Label Coordinates – Added options to include a description, to use Mtext, to draw the labels at an angle and option for mleader.
- Draw Legend – Added method to put each symbol or a specific layer.
- CRDB – New coordinate file format built on SQLite database for better performance than MDB.
- Search Published Control – New command to look up points from NGS geodetic control database.
- Edit-Process Raw File – Added method to display only selected point range and hide the rest.
- Field-To-Finish – Many new coding methods for tree surveys including coding by description sequence, by GIS attribute or by user-defined special characters. Also added method to draw circle for drip radius, method to draw circle for truck radius and method to draw polyline for treeline perimeter. Added function to generate tree table and reports based on tree coding in the point descriptions. For general point reports, added option to use the report formatter and include fields for the dwg description and code full name. For GIS labeling, added settings for decimal places and custom symbol attributes as reals. Also for GIS processing, added support for using GIS attribute for special codes such as horizontal offset. For ROT special code, added method to rotate by description using companion codes.
- Edit-Multiple Point Attributes – New user-interface with tabbed dialog. Added method to change attribute colors. Added ability to toggle visibility of attributes.
- Edit-Process Deed File – Added method to use label precision for calculating closure.
- Twist Screen Surveyor – Added option to use grid mapping angle.
- Inverse – Added option to report distances as delta north-south-east-west. Added option to report lat/lon. Added option whether to report coordinates.
- Draw Locate Points – Added method to create points by entering lat/lon.
- Bearing/Bearing Intersect – Added support for geodetic bearings.
- Distance Between Entities – Added average distance to the report.
- Map Check By Screen Entities – Added options whether to auto-select entities and set max offset.
- Best-Fit Point – New command to average points and report statistics.
- Cut Sheets – New spreadsheet interface, import from SurvCE and plan view labeling methods.
- Lot File Manager – Added function to hatch lots.
- Angle/Distance Annotation – Added settings for bearing quadrant labels. Added control for arrow size for end point leaders. Added separate settings for justification of angle and distance labels. Added option for prefix for distance labels.
- North Arrows – Added ability to add custom north arrow symbols.
- Label Coordinates – Added style for labels along X/Y axis.
- Label Lat/Lon – Added real-time display of lat/lon while picking points to label.
- Area Labels – Added option to use grid to ground conversion to label geodetic areas.
- Geodetic Single Proportion – New command to split line by proportion between record part and total distances.
- Geodetic Double Break – New command to break two intersecting lines based on mean bearing.
- Geodetic Middle Break – New command splits line to make lines with same geodetic length and mean bearing.
- Grant Boundary Adjustment – New command to apply Grant boundary adjustment on closed polylines.
“Carlson Survey does it all for us – it’s a big time saver on all different levels. Platting seems to be easier because bearings and distances work better. The topography works a lot better – you can get TOPOs out quicker and the changes are minimal. Field-to-Finish is better because it connects all the line work for you. It just makes the whole process a lot easier. Every surveyor should have Carlson in their cad toolbox! It’s the complete survey package with the best technical support on the market.”
– Reed Adams, LS
Director of Land Surveying, Koontz-Bryant
Click here for the Online Manual
Your Choice of CAD
Carlson Survey is offered in two general product configurations:
- As a third-party “add-on” to AutoCAD® or “stand-alone IntelliCAD” through the included copy of IntelliCAD.
- As a “stand-alone AutoCAD” product which features an embedded AutoCAD “OEM” graphical engine.
For details on the underlying CAD engines, click here.